I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Theater Thursday - My Fair Lady


What: My Fair Lady

Where: Vivan Beaumont Theatre
             150 W. 65th St.
             New York, NY

Who: Recommended for Ages 13 and Up







Me - My Fair Lady was  a good show. I never saw the show before. I once saw the movie, but I don't remember it because that was a long time ago. I really like the music. I already knew some of the songs before I saw the show, but I didn't know a lot of them. I especially like Wouldn't It Be Loverly. The acting was amazing! I was really excited to see Laura Benanti live in a Broadway show, and I was not disappointed. Previously, I had seen her on TV in She Loves Me and live in the New York Spring Spectacular which was not like a Broadway show. The night we were there was Harry Haden Patton's night off. However, the understudy did a fabulous job in the role. The theme of one person helping to change another person in some way is a common one in books, films, and shows, but I like the way they do it in this show. It makes for a good story, but I don't like that Higgins is rarely nice to Eliza. The costumes were nice. The stage was so huge! It was the biggest stage I have ever seen. When we were waiting to go into the show, we were sitting downstairs and the director of the show walked by us twice. That was kind of cool!  I am really glad I got the opportunity to see this classic show on stage, and I would recommend it.





Mom - I recently had the opportuntity to see My Fair Lady, on the Broadway stage for the second time in my life. The show which has a great story and beautiful music including such classic songs as On the Street Where You Life, I Could Have Danced All Night, and Get Me to the Church on Time is definitely worth seeing more than once. The lead role of Eliza Doolittle in the current verison of the show is now being played by Laura Benanti. She has publically stated that she has always wanted to play the role. It is the audience's fortune that she has been given the opportunity because she really shines in the role. Unfortunately, we did not see her regular co-star Harry Hadden Patton as Professor Henry Higgins because the night we attended was his night off. However. his understudy Michael Halling was terrific in the role, and definitely worth seeing as well. Due to the current times, we are living, it is my understanding that small changes have been made in the show although I didn't really notice any except that the ending seemed different. Of course, it has been a long time since I last saw the show so I don't really remember that much from the first time. I did, however, notice much more  than before how rudely Professor Higgins treats Eliza all the time. However, to change that would be to change the essence of the play, and it just goes to show how much the world has changed since the show was written. If we were to change everything in every show that may seem offensive in some way in the modern world, there would probably be little or no great classical theater left. Therefore, it is best just to take it for what it is a product of its time and enjoy it for what it is worth. The gist of the story about a woman who receives an education that allows her to improve her lot in life is still interesting, the music is still captivating, and the performances in this version of the show are exquisite all of which combines for delightful evening of theater.



And that's our view. Tune in Sunday for this week's Sunday Scoop.

Photo credits: All My Fair Lady production photos by Joan Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment