I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, October 17, 2013

New Jersey State Museum and Planetarium

Me - New Jersey State Museum and Planetarium, wow! I recently went to the New Jersey State Museum and Planetarium. It was definitely more fun than I thought it would be. I liked that they had lots of things where you could interact. Like they had a puzzle of the United States you could do. In another place, they had a puzzle of a dresser you could do. The exhibits were interesting , and I really liked the interactive stuff. None of the exhibits stood out more than any of the others to me. I didn't like the statues and pictures of nude people. It was kind of creep how real the animals looked in the natural history part of the museum. Some of them were really cute though. There was even a jaguar that reminded me of one of our kittens. They have lots of different stations where you can draw things like your own state seal or your own map. At one point, I decorated a picture of a jar of pottery with the words "Melia was Here." I was going to leave it there so people could see that I was there. Then, I decided to take it home so I could put it on my door at home. They had a really big dresser at the museum that my Mom and I agreed would be great to have at home. There was also a Planetarium there. The Planetarium was definitely different than the Planetarium I saw in third grade. In third grade, the Planetarium was a little blow up dome where they taught us about constellations. At this museum, they showed things about the human brain and body and cells and Philadelphia. I could actually feel the world spinning. It made me dizzy and gave me a neck and earache from starring at the ceiling. I very much enjoyed this museum. Even though I thought it would be boring it turned out to be fun. They always say you can't judge a book by its cover, and in this case, it turned out to be true.

Mom - We had a surprisingly good time at the New Jersey State Museum and Planeterium.  We got to compare skunk fur and wolf fur and bear fur. The skunk fur was surprisingly the softest. My girls got to decorate there own pottery jar pictures, create their own state seals, make their own maps and do  a puzzles of the United States. We learned interesting facts about the history of New Jersey and saw objects related to the history of New Jersey. My favorite was a huge old dresser with a ton of drawers. I wish they still made dressers like that. It would actually be big enough to keep all my stuff in and tall enough to keep my cats off of. We saw some beautiful art and other art that may not have looked so beautiful to us, but may be considered beautiful by someone else. We saw an exhibit of historical maps of New Jersey and  through them we learned about the state and its history and the way things changed over time. We saw a Planetarium show about how technology that was developed for space allows us to do so many other things like keep in touch by cellular phone and find our way with a GPS and many other things. Truthfully, the Planetarium show gave me a bit of a motion sickness headache as well as somewhat of neck ache from looking up, but it was still interesting and went by a lot quicker than I thought. All in all, we were glad we came and we had a fun time at the Museum and Planetarium.

And that's our view. Tune in tomorrow for Funny Friday.