I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, October 1, 2012

Newspapers

Me -Newspapers, wow! My Mom gets the newspaper every day. I like to read the comics especially on Sunday when they are in color. My sister likes them too, but she can only read a little so we have to read them to her. I also like some of the puzzles. I like boggle where you make as many words as you can out of letters that are connected to each other. I also like the word search. I like sudoku. My Grandma likes suoduku too, but that is the only puzzle my Mom doesn't do. My Mom sometimes gives me some of the other puzzles too. She always has a big stack of puzzles because she does not have time to do them every day, but she cannot get herself to throw them out. My Grandma is the one who taught me sudoku. She is really good at math. She also likes to do boggle. My Grandfather likes to do crossword puzzles, jumbles, word searches, and cryptoquotes. He and my Aunt even do the crossword puzzle from the Sunday New York Times which is really hard. It would be really hard to do the puzzles on the computer because you can't write on it so I am glad we still get the paper. Also, without the newspaper, I wouldn't know which comics to look up on-line, and I really love the comics.

Mom - I know most people get their news on-line these days. I get news that way too, but I still like to get my newspaper ever day. My favorite parts of the paper are the entertainment, the sports and the comics. Some other things interest me too, but I never know what those will be until I see them. I like those interesting quirky things. Some of the types of articles I like I would not  know to look for if I did not see them. When I am on-line I see some of these types of articles on my screen, but not all of them. I do not really have time to search for news on-line so I just go through things that come up on my home screen that interest me. It is easier for me to just read the newspaper and have it all there in front of me to skim through rather than having to search. Also, newspapers are getting smart and requiring you to have a subscription to have full access to their web-sites. I also like to do the puzzles in the paper. I do not know if there is way to do that on-line, but even if there is I prefer the old-fashioned way writing out the answers by hand on the paper. We also get the newspaper because my husband likes to look at the ads. While you can look up ads for various stores on-line, it is much more time consuming to go from web-site to web-site of the various stores than to just look at a stack of ads for all different stores one after the other. I like the coupons in the newspaper too. I can and do get coupons on-line as well, but I like that I do not have to search for the ones that come in my paper, they are just there for me. My girls love reading the color comics in the Sunday paper. I am not sure if there is a place on-line where you can get all the Sunday comics all in one place, but even if there is even my girls know, it is not the same as holding that color section in your hands and being able to spread it out on the floor in front of you to read it. I don't always have a chance to read the paper every day, but unless I have actually been away,  I am neurotic about it and can't throw it out. Every day, I go through the paper and put aside what I want to read, and put the rest out  in the recycling bin. At least once every other week before the recycling gets put out at the curb to be collected , if not more often,  I read through those parts of the newspaper that I set aside. So even though I  don't have  a chance to read my paper every day, I like to have it there to read through when I have a chance without having to search for anything. Therefore, even though less and less people are subscribing to newspapers all the time, I will continue to subscribe.

And that's our view. Do you subscribe to any newspapers? Why or why not?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.