I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Monsters University

Spoiler alert: If you have not seen Monsters University and you intend to, do not continue reading this post.

Me - Monsters University, opposite of wow! Monster's University was a horrible movie. I hated it so much. It was not nearly as good as Monsters, Inc. I didn't like the plot of the movie. The whole movie is about Sully and Mike at Monsters University, but in the end it turns out they started in the mail room at Monsters Inc. and worked their way up. Their jobs at Monsters, Inc. had nothing to do with college. They didn't even finish college. I felt like I was wasting my time watching the whole movie. I  didn't like the characters in the movie either except the Oozma Kampas. Boo wasn't even in it one bit. If Boo was in it for even one second, I would have liked the movie tons better. Boo is a very important part of my life. I thought that they could have had it where Sully and Mike were telling the story to Boo. She could have been in it for a minute at the beginning and/or at least a minute at the end. They could have said something like  "So you see Boo that's how we got to be scarers". They should have made a sequel instead of a prequel. Then, they would have had no choose but to put Boo in. At the end of Monsters University when Boo hadn't been in at all, I thought that after the credits they could have Boo pop out and say "Boo!" They didn't even do that which made the movie even worse. So even if you love the movie Monsters Inc., I wouldn't suggest seeing Monsters University.

Mom - In our family, the movie Monsters, Inc is very near and dear to our heart.  Monsters University not so much. The character of Boo, in particular, is greatly loved in our house. Boo reminded us so much of Melia when Melia was young. In fact, Melia used to have a Boo doll that was very much a major part of our family for many years. One of the things I liked the least about the movie was that there was no Boo in it. I realize that the movie took place before Boo was born, but I figured they would still find a way to put Boo in the movie in some way. Pixar does stuff like that all the time. A kid could have had a Boo doll like Boo had a Nemo toy in Monsters, Inc. The whole story could have been a flashback that Sully and Mike were telling to Boo. They definitely could have found a way to put Boo in the movie at least in a cameo. Aside from the fact, that Boo wasn't in the movie I didn't really like the movie anyway. I didn't like the characters. Even the characters of Sully and Mike weren't all that likeable. Mike was kind of a loser and Sully was conceited and lazy. I also didn't like the plot of the movie. They make it seem like you are going to see the story of how Mike and Sully ended up at Monsters, Inc. but it turns out their going to Monsters University had nothing to do with their jobs at Monsters, Inc. They didn't even finish college. They ended up working their way up from the mail room. While it is not a bad message to teach kids that with hard work you can move up in the world, even with hard work it is not necessarily so easy to move up this days as it once may have been. Also, is it really a good idea to teach kids that college doesn't really matter? I feel like I wasted my time watching this movie. I would rather watch the likeable Sully and Mike from Monsters, Inc. then the unlikeable Sully and Mike from this movie. I also didn't need to waste my time watching a whole movie about how they came to work at Monsters, Inc. when most of the movie had nothing to do with that anyway. The best part about the whole experience was the great new incredibly comfortable reclining seats they just put in at our movie theater. Sitting in those seats was definitely worth a few hours of my time. Monsters University was not.

And that's our view. What movie did you look forward to and then find really disappointing?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.