I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, August 24, 2020

The Kinds of Books We Like


Me - My favorite books are fantasy. I love fantasy with cute romances. I also like contemporary romance. Those are mostly the only books I read. Lately, I have been into mythology books especially Greek mythology. I have been getting a lot of books that are retellings of myths, but I haven't really read them yet. I don't really want to read the original stories because I don't like old-time writing. I did get a copy of the Iliad and the Odyssey, however. I am not sure if I will actually get around to reading it though. I want to, but even though it is a translated version I am afraid I still won't like it.  I want to have it, and I am glad that I bought it, but I would rather have it and have the possibility of liking it than actually read it and find out I don't. I mostly prefer modern retellings of myths though.  I also read some nonfiction books with my mom. However, I only like nonfiction about topics I am especially interested in like theater. I don't like sci-fi. I don't like horror fiction. I can't handle that. I don't read mysteries. All in all,  I love reading, but  I am very particular about the kinds of books will read. 

Mom - I like all kinds of books. I like best selling fiction. I like some books that would be considered literature. I like some classic books, but not all. I like chick-lit, but not necessarily Harlequin romance type books. I like Young Adult books, but not all those paranormal romance books and books about vampires and stuff that are so popular now. I like nonfiction. I do not like all nonfiction, however. I like books about sports, mostly baseball and figure skating and I like books about theater. I do not like books that are just generally about those topics. I like books that are about specific aspects of the topic, such as, a book about a particular player or team, a book about a particular skater or event or a book about a particular show or about Broadway musicals or something. I sometimes like biographies especially those about particular athletes or actors.  I like to read mysteries. I read almost all of Agatha Christie's books, and I think I have read all of Mary Higgins Clark's books. I like classic children's books and as my children have gotten older and outgrown the books  that I loved reading with them, it made me sad. I do not like western books. I do not like science fiction or fantasy books except for a few like the Harry Potter books. I do not like paranormal books. I do not like how-to books or self-improvement books. I do not like books about religion. However, in general, I try to judge each book on its own and not by genre and if a book seems interesting to me, I will read it regardless of which genre it is.

And that's our view. What kind of books do you like?

Tune tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.

photo credit: pongo 2007 <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50331573@N00/12497594864">open book</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">(license)</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment