I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, July 18, 2016

Tony Awards 2016

Me - I had never watched the Tonys until last year. I watched it and loved it, and now it's my favorite awards show. I especially love to watch the performers from the shows do songs from the shows they are in. I also like to guess who is going to win the awards. This year I pretty much liked all the musical performances. However, my favorite was School of Rock. I really want to see School of Rock. I also want to see On Your Feet and Waitress. My Mom saw Waitress, On Your Feet, and School of Rock. I am very mad at her for that. I can't wait for next year's Tony's because now that I am on the blog I see a lot more shows, and I will probably have seen a lot more of the nominated shows then I have the past two years. James Corden was a good host.I really like James Corden because he's funny. I like watching his show.  I was surprised that he changed so many times during the Tonys because usually the men host don't change so many times only the women do. James Corden did a Broadway version of Carpool Karaoke with four people that are in Broadway shows. I saw it on his show and on the Tonys too. On the Tonys, they did not show the whole thing that they showed on his show. I love Broadway so much. Broadway is my favorite place and seeing Broadway shows is one of my favorite things to do. I can't wait to see all the new shows that come this season and find out what gets nominated for Tonys next year!

If you missed the 2016 Awards and you still want to catch some of the great performances go here to find out how to download this years Tony Awards and/or previous Tony broadcasts:
http://www.tonyawards.com/index.html

For James Corden's Broadway Carpool Karoke you can also go here

Mom - My husband and Aurella and I recently enjoyed watching the Tony Awards together. The Tony Awards is my favorite award show. I love it even more now that I see so many shows. However, it has only been the last couple of years since we became really active with our blog that I started seeing so many shows in a year. Even when I had hardly seen any of the shows, I still loved the Tony Awards. I especially love to see all the musical numbers from different shows performed. This year I loved seeing the performances from shows like On Your Feet, School of Rock, and She Loves Me that I've seen as well as shows like Hamilton and Shuffle Along which I'd like to see. Like with any award show, it's always fun to see how many of the award winner's you can correctly predict. Sometimes, I even enter contests for predicting the winners. They always offer great prizes like gift cards that can be used to buy even more theater tickets. I haven't ever won any of those contests so far although I did win a bunch of AMC gift cards in a predict the Oscars contest a few years ago. Most of all, the Tony's make me nostalgic for the shows I've seen and make me look forward to the shows I will see in the future.

For a full list of this year's Tony winners see below:

Tony Honors for Excellence: Joan Lader, Seth Gelblum, Sally Ann Parsons
Tony Awards for Lifetime Achievement: Sheldon Harnick, Marshall W. Mason
Isabelle Stevenson Award: Brian Stokes Mitchell
Regional Theatre Tony Award: Paper Mill Playhouse
Featured Actress in a Musical: RenĂ©e Elise Goldsberry, Hamilton

Featured Actor in a Musical: Daveed Diggs, Hamilton
Best Costume Design of a Play: Clint Ramos, Eclipsed
Best Costume Design of a Musical: Paul Tazewell, Hamilton
Best Original Score: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton
Best Direction of a Play: Ivo van Hove, A View from the Bridge
Best Direction of a Musical: Thomas Kail, Hamilton
Best Scenic Design of a Musical: David Rockwell, She Loves Me
Best Scenic Design of a Play: David Zinn, The Humans 
Featured Actor in a Play: Reed Birney, The Humans
Best Lighting Design of a Play: Natasha Katz, Long Day's Journey Into Night
Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Howell Binkley, Hamilton
Leading Actress in a Play: Jessica Lange, Long Day's Journey into Night
Leading Actor in a Play: Frank Langella, The Father

Unfortunately, many of these shows have already closed. To find out more about the ones that remain open see below.

For Hamilton go to http://www.hamiltonbroadway.com/
For The Humans go to http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/Shows-Events/The-Humans.aspx

For more about  current shows on Broadway go to http://www.broadway.com/. You can also find out more about Broadway and Broadway shows, in our past and future Where-To-Go Wednesdays and Thursday Talking Topics posts.

And that's our view. What Broadway show would you most like to see?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.

photo credit: Vorhang auf via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment