I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Saturday Special - An Interview with Actors, Abigail and Milly Shapiro

Fifteen year old,  Abigail  Shapiro (AS) is best know for appearing as Cindy Lou Who in a touring production of Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas. She is currently starring in the lead role of Liberty in Liberty: A Monumental new musical. Her thirteen year old sister, Milly (MS) is an actress who is best known as one of the four original actresses to play the title role of Matilda in the Broadway show of the same name. She is currently staring as Sally Brown in the York Theatre Company production of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.

Abigail Shapiro


When did you first start acting?

AS: I first started acting when I was 10 years old. I started singing when I was about 6, and I danced a bit when I was three, then stopped, then started again when I was about 7 or 8. 

What was your first role?

AS: My first role was as a child in Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat in Tampa, where I grew up. 

What was your favorite role?

AS: My favorite role is the role I have now! Liberty in Liberty The Musical, because it is the first lead role I've played.

What was your least favorite role?

AS: I don't have a least favorite role! I like being in the ensemble just as much as playing a principle role. 

What is your favorite Broadway show?

AS: My favorite Broadway show is Phantom of the Opera.

Which actors do you admire?

AS: I love Kristin Chenoweth!!!!!!!

What kind of training if any  have you had to do what you do?

AS: I've had vocal, acting, and dance training--and I continue to take all of those lessons now. 

Have you ever been in something with your sister and if so what?

AS: Yes! We were in a production of Annie in Florida. I played Molly and Milly was in the ensemble. 

Do you have any special talents?

AS: I really like to paint. I especially love painting pet portraits. 

What is your favorite thing about having a sister in the business?

AS: I get introduced to more people, and I get to see the shows she's in! I'm always overjoyed to see her perform, even if I've seen the show thousands of times. 

What is your least favorite thing about having a sister in the business? 

AS: I have no idea! 

What is your favorite thing about show business? 

AS: Everyone is so nice! Also, the industry is quite small, so everyone knows each other. 

What is your least favorite thing about show business?

AS: Ambiguity with auditions. 

Do you want to continue acting when you are an adult and if not what career do you want to pursue and if you do want to continue acting what would you do if you couldn't do that?

AS: From what I know now, I definitely want to pursue acting when I'm older! If I'm unable to do that, I would probably want to become a teacher, because I love working with kids. 

What advice would you give to a kid who wants to get into acting?
AS: Keep practicing, and never give up! You can do it! 

Abigail Shapiro and the cast of Liberty: A Monumental New Musical

What: LIberty: A Monumental New Musical

Where:  42 West
              514 West 42nd St.

When: Performances begin  on June 6; opening on July 4, 2016 at 3pm

For more about Liberty: A  Monumental New Musical:



For more information or to order tickets go to LibertyTheMusical.com.

********************************************************************************************************
Milly Shapiro

When did you first start acting?

MS: I started acting when I was five years old.

What was your first role?

My first role was Orphan #3 in Annie in Tampa, Florida as part of the New Tampa Players theater program. 

What was your favorite role?

MS: My favorite role has to be my current one! Playing Sally in You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. 

What was your least favorite role?

MS: I don’t have a least favorite, as they all are fun for different reasons and provide a good learning opportunity along the way. It's always interesting playing people other than yourself.

What is your favorite Broadway show?

MS: Wicked

Which actors do you admire?

MS: Bernadette Peters 

What kind of training if any  have you had to do what you do?

MS: I take sing and acting lessons--it's important to always keep practicing and getting better. 

Have you ever been in something together and if so what?

MS: We performed together in Annie and Anything Goes when we were younger, while we lived in Tampa. 

Do you have any special talents?

MS: Cooking and sewing 

What is your favorite thing about having a sister in the business?

MS: She gets what it's like to go through the things you do as an actor, so she always can help me out if I am having trouble.

What is your least favorite thing about having a sister in the business? 

MS: I love all of it!

What is your favorite thing about show business?

It's fun to pretend to be someone else for a little bit. 

What is your least favorite thing about show business?

MS: All of the auditions--it's very nerve wracking! 

Do you want to continue acting when you are an adult and if not what career do you want to pursue and if you do want to continue acting what would you do if you couldn't do that? 

MS: I definitely want to continue acting. 

What advice would you give to a kid who wants to get into acting?

MS: Don't give up and always try your best. And it takes lots and lots of practice. 

Milly Shapiro as Sally Brown in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown

What: You're A Good Man Charlie Brown 

Where: York Theatre
            Saint Peter's
            619 Lexington Ave.
            (entrance on 54th St. just east of Lexington)
            New York, NY

When: Now through June 26, 2016

For more about You're A Good Man Charlie Brown:



For more information or to order tickets go to http://www.yorktheatre.org/

We thank Abigail and Milly for taking the time to answer our questions. For more about the Shaprio Sisters or to order a copy of their album, Live Out Loud, visit their web-site at http://www.shapirosisters.com/.

Tune in tomorrow for this week's Sunday Scoop.

Photo credits: Liberty: A Monumental New Musical photo by Russ Rowland
                   You're A Good Man Charlie Brown photo by Carol Rosegg

No comments:

Post a Comment