I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Saturday Special - Hazel: A Musical Maid in America

I (the Mom half of Says Me Says Mom) was given tickets to an Equity Lab production of Hazel Maid in America. Any and all opinions expressed here are completely my own based on my experience.
 
Shirley Booth (above) starred in the TV series Hazel from 1961-1966    

What: Hazel: A Musical Maid in America

Where: The Lyric Theatre Performance Spaces
           43rd Street
           New York, New York

When: May 28 and 29, 2015

My view: Whether you remember the old TV series Hazel or not, the show Hazel: A Musical Maid in America is a  delight. The story is entertaining. The music is pretty. While I did not leave the theater humming any of it, it still was enjoyable to listen to during the course of the show. Klea Blackhurst, who played the title role in this version, as well as in  a previous industry presentation that took place in 2014, gives the role a lot of heart. From what I recall of the few episodes of the old TV series that I remember seeing in syndication, Shirley Booth's Hazel could be a bit pushy and a bit of a know-it-all. Ms. Blackhurst's portrayal is much softer around the edges. She is still wiser than everybody around her but she shows it in much subtler ways. That makes the character in this version even more likable than she was on the TV show. The rest of the cast was equally suited to their parts and enjoyable in their roles including a few who stepped into the roles at the last minute as replacements. The show with a book by Lissa Levin, music by Ron Abel and lyrics by Chuck Steffan was directed by Lucie Arnaz with energetic choreography  by Chet Walker.  All in all, it is a really fun show and if you ever have an opportunity to see it, I would highly recommend it particularly if Klea Blackhurst is playing the title role.

And that's my view. Tune in tomorrow for the Sunday Scoop.