I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Monthly Mash-up for May, 2015: Gossip Girl and Melissa McCarthy

Me - My topic for this month is Gossip Girl. I started watching the TV series Gossip Girl on Netflix a few months ago. I had been thinking about starting it for a year then I finally got around to it.  I decided I might as well try it because if I don't like it I can always stop watching it. It's got a good cast at least, the two main girls. The rest I'd never heard of, but they're still really good actors.  I became obssessed with the show so fast. It's such a great show. There is so much drama and romance and friendship. It is so great! I starting read the Gossip Girl books too. So far, I am not liking them that much. They are really different than the show, and I have grown to love the show so much.

Mom - My topic for this month is the dumbing down of Melissa McCarthy. So many larger women get relegated to the goofy fat girl role. However, it wasn't always like that for Melissa McCarthy. Before Bridesmaids, she played a number of smart roles where her size wasn't necessarily an issue including on Mike and Molly when it originally went on the air. She was a real role model for women of a certain size everywhere. Then, Bridesmaids came along, and it was a big hit. It might have seemed like it was a great thing for Melissa McCarthy and her career, but I don't really think so. Suddenly. instead of mostly doing roles that were size blind, she was mostly pigeonholed into the stereotypical goofy fat girl role she had previously often been able to successfully avoid. Even Mike and Molly was re-written to portray her character more like this. Occasionally she is still able to overcome the stereotype, and she is able to portray a role that is more worthy of her talents like her role in the movie St. Vincent. However. for the most part it seems like her career has taken a step backward instead of a step forward.

And that's our view. Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment