· Thursday, May 22: Tippler’s Tour begins for the season – Past and present meet on Historic Philadelphia, Inc.’s weekly authentic Colonial pub crawl, featuring four different seasonal offerings. Visitors join a Colonial host to hear stories and drinking traditions with fun and lighthearted songs and toasts of the era. With drinks and snacks at each of three modern day watering holes and one historic tavern, the “tippler” guide shares some of Benjamin Franklin’s most fun phrases for someone who is drunk, including “nimptopsical” and “tipsicum grave.” Hear tales about how taverns were used as recruiting stations (getting people inebriated sometimes helped convince them) and how news of the day was discussed in the taverns.
· Friday, May 23: Independence After Hours Tour begins for the season – an evening walking tour visiting some of the landmarks of Philadelphia’s Historic District and immersing the visitor with Colonial characters who bring history to life right in the place where it happened, with dinner at City Tavern and a visit inside Independence Hall at night.
· Saturday, May 24: Opening Day of Once Upon A Nation Storytelling Benches – ten one-of-a-kind award-winning Once Upon A Nation Storytelling Benches are scattered all over Philadelphia’s Historic District, telling riveting stories of our nation’s history in the places where they actually happened.
Saturday is the highlight of the new Stripes & Stars Festival, a celebration of both Flag Day and the birthday of the U.S. Army, which features events on Independence Mall, at the National Constitution Center, and the Betsy Ross House.
· Thursday, July 31: Franklin Square’s 8th Birthday Party – wish the Square happy birthday with cake and Ben Franklin himself.
- Monday, September 1, Labor Day: Last chance to see the Once Upon A Nation Storytelling Benches in Historic Philadelphia, along with an assortment of free programs that end for the season such as the Military Muster and Declaration Readings.
- Fall in Franklin Square – fall is always a special time in Franklin Square, with corn stalk and pumpkin decorations and the popular Pumpkin Patch and Trick or Treat Trail events. Also Spooky Mini Golf is more seasonal family fun in Franklin Square, Fridays and Saturdays from October 3 – 31.
Tune in tomorrow for another Talking Topic.