I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Braces

Me - Braces, wow! I recently got braces. While they were putting them on, I was in a lot of pain, and I cried. It hurt even more than I thought it would. For the first couple days, they hurt really bad. I was upset that I couldn't eat hard food. All I could eat was soup, mashed potatoes, noodles, and chocolate ice cream. Now I actually like them a lot. My Dad said he doesn't think I used to smile as bright before I got the braces. I still can't eat every food. I can't have caramel and chew gum and have other chewy candies. I miss those. A lot of my friends already have braces. Even way back in third grade, some people I knew already had braces. My sister even knows a girl in her second grade class who has braces. My Mom got braces when she was my age. My brother also had braces when he was about my age. My Dad had braces when he was an adult, and my brother was already born. Just remember if you get braces, and if you haven't had them you probably will most people do, the pain gets better. Good luck!

Mom - Braces, ugh! I had braces from the time I was 11 until the time I was 13. At the time braces were just braces there was just one kind. They didn't have so many options like they do now. They were just those ugly railroad tracks. They were all silver. There were no different colors like you can get now. I remember getting the top braces and the bottom braces put on at different times. When I had the bottom braces put on, it was hurting me so much I had to come home from school early. I was in 5th grade then, and I came home from school early a lot. I twisted my ankle, I had itchy poison ivy, it was always something. Just about every week it was something else. The funny thing it was just that year. Every other year of school, I hardly even went to the nurse. I don't know what they school nurse is like now, but in those days all they did was ask you if the pain or whatever was so bad that you had to go home, and if you said yes they called your mother. I must have actually thought I was in pain because my teacher was nice that year, and I didn't necessarily want to get away from her. Anyway, back to the braces, every time they got adjusted, they hurt. I really missed chewy foods like caramel and gum. The first thing I did when I got them off is get a pack of gum and immediately put a piece in my mouth. I still remember it was like this grape Hubba Bubba or something. The funny thing is that now my braces are gone, and they have been for a long time, I could chew gum all the time if I wanted, but I don't. I don't chew gum at all anymore. It give me a headache. I still love caramel, however, and I still don't miss those braces.

And that's our view. How did you feel about your braces or were you one of the lucky few who didn't need them?

Tune in tomorrow for Funny Friday.