I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, September 10, 2012

Math

Me - Math, not wow! I don't like math. I hate the person who created math. Math is so hard. If there had to be math, I wish I didn't have to learn it. I am not good at telling time. I don't understand money. In third grade, my teacher had to help me on a telling time test. I do like multiplication. I am good at my times tables up to 12. When I was younger, I used to practice math a lot to try to get better at it, but I don't any more. My Grandma, and my brother and sister are really good at math. I am much better at reading, and I like it much better. My Mom and Dad are better at reading too, but they don't hate math as much as me. No one hates math as much as me.

Mom - Math has never been my favorite subject. I was always much better at reading probably because I always liked to read. Not too long ago, I was in touch with my third grade teacher. She said when I was in third grade, I was really good at math. I don't remember that at all. By the time, I got to high school I wasn't. Melia is like me. She does not like math either. She thinks she is really bad at it. While she is definitely better at reading like I am, her teacher's have told me that she is not as bad at math as she thinks she is. I think she just lacks confidence in her math abilities because she likes reading better so it comes easier to her. She has to work at math more. Maybe, I was the same way. My husband also prefers reading to math. Aurella, however, is good at math. When she was about two or three she said to me "I had two and then I got three more so now I have five." She didn't even have to count it up or anything she just knew. When I went to help out in her classroom in kindergarten one day, they were doing something where they had to write numbers as high as they could could count, most of the kids wrote 10 or 20 or so. Aurella wrote up to 42, and she had only stopped there because she ran out of room on the paper. My stepson is also really good at math. When he comes he helps Melia with her math homework. My Mother is also very good at math. She was a math major in college. My Mother looks at things in a very serious way. She always expects things to be logical. Aurella can be that way too. For instance, she always takes song lyric very seriously and is always asking why a person would say or do this or that. Maybe, it is this way of looking at the world in a logical way that makes them so good at math.

And that's our view. Do you prefer math or reading?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.