I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Brave

SPOILER ALERT. Do not read if you have not seen Brave and do not want to learn major plot points of the movie.

Me - Brave, wow! Brave is one of my favorite princess movies of all time although I thought it was pretty intense for a Disney movie. There was a vicious bear. There were shooting arrows and bear attacks. There were bear fights. These things scared my sister, Aurella. However, I found all that stuff really cool and interesting. I was glad that Disney finally added some scary parts.There other movies didn't scare me at all. Neither did this, but it was still scarier. I am reading the junior novel Disney Pixar Brave now which is based on the movie. I got it at Barnes and Noble, my favorite place in the universe other than the library. I liked the character of Merida. I thought she was very Brave and courageous. I thought it was funny that when her mother first turned into a bear she was trying to cover herself up like she still thought she was a person and she was naked. The triplets were really funny. I thought it was hilarious how they were stealing biscuits and stuff. When they turned into bears, they were adorable. I also thought it was really funny that when they triplets and their mother turned back into humans, the mother was naked so they covered her with a quilt, and the boys were naked so they ran over to their mother, and they all hugged. Even though, I liked this princess movie and some of the others, I wish that not  all Disney movies had to end with a happily ever after.


Mom - The other week we went to see the movie Brave. While I somewhat enjoyed the movie, it definitely wasn't one of my favorites. For the one thing, the plot seemed a little flimsy to me. When it was over, I couldn't help thinking, was that all there was to it? The characters seemed a bit one dimensional. Merida was strong willed and stubborn. At times, this made her an admirable character and at times not. Her mother was a typical pushy mother trying to get her daughter to bend to her will at least throughout most of the film. Her father although he was the king was not very kingly when it came to his wife. He pretty much went along with whatever his wife wanted and didn't try to stand up to her. Merida's little brothers were pretty much spoiled little brats although she herself helped to make them that way, and they loved her and were there for her when she needed them. They were also very indistinguishable from one another so there seemed to be no reason why there was three of them instead of one or two. There also was  nothing distinguishable about Merida's suitors from the other clans, and I couldn't even tell one from another except that they looked different than each other. I don't remember any of their names if they even had names. Unlike in many animated films, there were not even any memorable songs in this movie. In fact, I don't think there were any songs at all at least I don't remember any. Visually, the movie was beautiful, and when I think about it I particularly remember Merida's long red curly hair. Anyway, although I wasn't crazy about the movie nor was my husband, our daughter really enjoyed and since it is a kids movie I guess that was the important thing.

And that's our view. Have you seen Brave a and if so, what did you like or dislike about Brave?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.