I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, April 18, 2016

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Me - I went to see A Midsummer Night's Dream at Kelsey Theater. I had never seen any of Shakespeare's plays before. I didn't think I would like his plays. I was right I don't. I didn't understand. It is hard to understand what people are saying in Shakespeare's play because the language is so old fashioned. Also, I think he makes up words. This version of the show was very different anyway. It took place in India instead of Greece. Also, there were a lot of dances in it. I don't think there are supposed to be so many dances. All in all, it was not at all my favorite show.*

*This post is by Aurella.
Mom - Recently, we saw a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at Kelsey Theater at Mercer County Community College. The only Shakespeare play I remember seeing previously was a college production of Romeo and Juliet although I did read a lot of his plays in high school and/or college. I don't think I had ever seen any version of a Midsummer Night's Dream before nor do I remember reading it. I enjoyed the play itself. It is a fun story involving fairies, forbidden love, unrequited love and love potions gone wrong among other things. I was not especially crazy about this version of the play where the setting was changed to India and lot of a dancing was thrown in. I didn't quite get that. The acting was pretty good though, and the set and costumes were good. However, my girls didn't really like it. They don't like Shakespeare much. Sometimes, with Shakespeare you have to work so hard to understand what the characters are saying because the language is so old fashioned. I think that is why kids don't always like it so much. Sometimes, it helps to be really familiar with the show before you go, but not always. Just like anything else there is going to be people who love it, and people who hate it.

And that's our view. What do you think of Shakespeare's plays?

No comments:

Post a Comment