I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Old Barracks


Me- Old Barracks, wow! A few weeks ago we went to the Barracks in Trenton. British soldiers stayed here even before the Revolutionary War.  At first, we saw a movie about the Revolutionary war. Then, we took a tour of the Barracks. We saw where the soldiers slept. We saw their kitchen. There was also a house attached to the Barracks where the officers stayed. The officers had much nicer things. The rooms were bigger. Our tour guide told us about how they lived and what they ate. We saw uniforms and a feather pen. We even saw samples of the food they ate. Most of it was not real. However, there was one kind of hard bread that was real. It doesn't go bad. If you soak it, you can still eat it. That sounds gross to me! Some of the things our tour guide talked about I remember learning in school. They had a really cool gift shop. They had fake Declarations of Independence. They had Colonial papers dolls. They had really delicious candy sticks in several different flavors. I had a sour apple one. It was really good. Aurella had a grape one. She liked it too. For some bizarre reason, another thing they sold was squirrel stuffed animals. There were also a bunch of other things for sale. You should go to the museum because it was fun and you can learn a lot.

Mom- I think I went to the Old Barracks when I was in a kid in elementary school so it was interesting to go there again now with my kids. I assume things haven't changed, but truthfully, I don't really remember. Accordingly, I had no more idea of what to expect than my husband or daughters who had never been there before. Both my daughters were sure they were going to be bored out of their minds. We were all pleasantly surprised. The tour was interesting and informative. We were able to learn everything about what life was like for the soldiers who lived in the Barracks. We learned about what they ate. We learned about where and how they slept.  We learned about what they carried around with them and how they carried it. We learned about what they did in their spare time. We learned about their medical practices. Our tour guide was very informative and willingly answered all our questions. Her pleasant friendly personality encouraged my daughters to ask a lot of questions. As a result, even though they initially thought they were going to be bored, they both remained involved and interested throughout our visit.  They ended up having a really good time as did my husband and I.


And that's our view. Where is some place you went where you didn't expect to have as good a time as you did?


Tune in tomorrow for Funny Friday.