I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, August 13, 2012

The Olympics

Me - The Olympics, wow! My Mom and I watched the Olympics. My favorite sport was gymnastics, but not that weird gymnastics that I don't know the name of. I like regular gymnastics with bars and beam and stuff. I prefer women's gymnastics, but I also like men's. In men's I mostly like high bar and and floor exercise. I don't like pommel horse. My favorite American gymnasts are Gabby Douglass and McKayla Maroney. That vault McKayla did during the team competition was amazing. I can't believe she didn't get a perfect score. They took points away for no reason. My second favorite sport was swimming. My favorite swimmer was Michael Phelps. I remember him from the last Olympics. I also really like Missy Franklin. She has a really pretty smile. I also like track and field. I don't have a favorite track or field athlete because I don't know any of their names. I enjoy the Olympics, and I look forward to it coming, but when it's here I can't wait for it to be over because it is so time consuming.

Mom-  I love the Olympics, and I hate the Olympics.I like watching it, but I get so caught up in watching it that everything else falls behind. I most like the individual events better than the team events. I mean I like events where there is a team, but the members mostly compete as individuals. My favorite events are gymnastics, swimming and track. However, I also like diving, and field events and some other things. I am the perfect person for whom NBC's primetime Olympic telecasts were made because I mostly like all of the events they featured except beach volleyball. I mean I think it was an interesting story Misty-May Treanor and Kerry Walsh Jennings trying to get their third Olympic gold medal in the event, but I don't like the sport enough to have watched them do it. I also like some of the obscure events like synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. My favorite thing about the games are the heartwarming stories. There was the story of Kayla Harrison who was abused by her former coach and went on to win the first USA gold medal in Judo. There was  Bryshon Nellum who survived a gang shooting to go on and win a Silver medal in track and carry the U.S. flag in the closing ceremonies. Those are just a couple of the heartwarming stories of these Olympics, and I am sure aside from the many more that I know of there are many more that I have never even heard about. However, to me, the most touching story of these games was the story of Oscar Pistorius, the first double amputee to run against able-bodied runners. He didn't win any medals, but his just is being there is the true lesson of the Olympics. Sure it is nice to win a medal but that is not the only thing. The Olympics is about inclusion it is about being a part of something whether your an athelete or a coach or just a spectator. Everybody should have a right to be a part of the Olympics. Many times in the past, with boycotts and things, I don't think that was really the case as much as it should have been. However, this year for the first time, it feels like everybody truly was able to be a part of the Olympics and Oscar Pistorious is the perfect example of that.

And that's our view. What was your favorite part of the Olympics?

Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.