I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Summer Reading

Me - Summer Reading, wow! My Mom makes me do summer reading every year. I don't mind because I read anyway, and I like the prizes. I have won books, ice cream coupons (I have never used them because we don't go to that ice cream place), t-shirts, certificates, baseball tickets, money from TD bank among other things. Most summer reading you just have to read a certain number of books. For some, you have to read for a certain amount of time. I like when you have to read a certain number of books better because I read a lot of book anyway. Also, it is easier to reach my goals and earn the prizes if I just have to read a certain number of books and not read for a certain amount of time. I love reading, but I really love summer reading. It is great to do what I love doing anyway and earn things for it,

Mom - I wish they would have had summer reading programs like they do now when I was a kid. My kids have won t-shirts, free ice cream, baseball tickets, and even money from TD bank among other things just for reading books in the summer. They both love reading anyway and probably would have read a lot even without the incentive of summer reading. I was the same way. I was always reading. I still read a lot now and try to read at least a book or two a week. However, there are so many other things I want to and need to do now that sometimes I cannot get to reading as much as I would like to. I can only multitask so much. If I could find a way to read, watch, go on the computer and get things done around the house all at the same time, I would be thrilled and get a lot more done. A lot of times, I watch and go on the computer at the same time unless I am watching something that is very visual like Figure Skating or Dancing With the Stars. A lot of things I do on the computer are like summer reading for me. I get rewarded for doing things I like, such as, blogging or taking surveys. It is just so time consuming though and it is not just for a certain period of time like summer reading is.
'
And that's our view. What do you think of summer reading programs that provide incentives to kids for reading in the summer?

Tune in tomorrow for Funny Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment