I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Where-To-Go Wednesday - Absecon Lighthouse


What: Absecon Lighthouse 

Where: 31 S. Rhode Island Ave. 
            Atlantic City, NJ 

Who: All ages



Me - Visiting the Absecon Lighthouse was fun. I had never visited a lighthouse before, but I had wanted to, and I was excited to have a chance to visit one. There were quite a lot of stairs to climb up to the top. It made me really tired climbing all the way up, but it was worth it. The view was amazing and also kind of scary because it was so high up.In one of the pictures I took from the top, you could see the shadow of the lighthouse in the picture. It was cool! Unfortunately, we never took a picture of ourselves at the top of the lighthouse because my mom was feeling nauseous from the walk up. I would like to go back and take a picture there sometime. 



There was also a museum at the lighthouse. There were a lot of pictures in the museum. We learned that lighthouses are painted specific colors for specific reasons and what all the different colors mean. That was interesting. It wasn't a very big museum, but it was fascinating. I'm glad that I finally got to visit a lighthouse, and now I hope I get to visit more of them.



Mom - The Absecon Lighthouse is the third oldest lighthouse in the United States. At 171 feet tall, it also the tallest in New Jersey. There are 228 steps from the bottom to the top of the lighthouse.  However, the climb is worth it because you can get a nice overview of the whole city from the top. If you are going to make the climb, we recommend taking it slow because it is not easy climbing all those stairs while wearing a mask, and also the stairs are very twisty which doesn't help. By the time, I reached, the top I could barely breathe. You can also get a glimpse of the different views on the lighthouse's website, but nothing beats actually being up there and seeing it for yourself.



Along with the Lighthouse, there is a replica of the lightkeepers' house which houses an educational museum and a gift shop. The museum is small but informative. You can learn a lot not only about the Absecon Lighthouse but about lighthouses in general. 



The Lighthouse and grounds are open to visitors Monday through Thursday 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Climbs to the top are allowed up to a half-hour before closing. Mask-wearing is required to visit the Lighthouse Tower and/ or the keeper's house. However, you can visit any outdoor exhibits and/or the community garden without one.  There are no public bathrooms currently open on the site so you may want to keep that in mind when planning a visit.



And that's our view. For more information, visit https://abseconlighthouse.org.

Tune in tomorrow for Theater Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment