I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, July 29, 2019

Monthly Mashup for July, 2019 American Folk Art Museum: Made in New York City and David Cone's Perfect Game 20th Anniversary


 
 
Me - My topic for this month is the American Folk Art Museum's exhibit Made in New York City. The American Folk Art Museum exhibit Made in New York was the best exhibit I have ever seen at this museum. It was more 3D and less just pictures which was interesting to me. There was a sign with a dog head. There was a lion from a carousel.There was also a horse from a carousel. There were a couple of chairs with really pretty designs on them. Some of the pictures in the exhibit were actually fascinating too. There was a picture of a boy with a squirrel on his shoulder. There was a picture of man named Preserved Fish. That was weird. Who would name their child that? Even though the museum is small, the exhibit contained quite a lot of exhibits and paintings. Over all, it was an interesting exhibition. Unfortunately, however, the exhibit closed yesterday. However, to find out what is going on now at the American Folk Art Museum, visit https://folkartmuseum.org.

  
   



Mom - My topic for this month is the 20th Anniversary of David Cone's perfect game. In all of modern baseball history there have only been 23 perfect games in which a pitcher faced the minimum of 27 batters and gave up no hits, no walks, and no runs. In all of the New York Yankee's storied history, there have only been 3 perfect games. I have been lucky enough to be at two of them: one thrown by David Wells and one thrown by David Cone. At David Wells perfect game, even though I love baseball myself, I was with a friend who is not into it as much so I was not even paying that much attention to the game until I realized what was happening. David Cone is my favorite player of all time so I can honestly say I was extremely focused on his perfect game from the very first pitch. It was the best game I ever went to and even if I went to every World Series game from now on through the rest of my life (which is not likely anyway since so far I have been to no World Series games), there could never be another baseball experience for me that could top it.


Recently, my family and I visited Yankee Stadium on July 18, the 20th anniversary of David Cone's perfect game. As on the 10th anniversary of his perfect game (which I also attended, but only with my husband), David was there and threw out the ceremonial first pitch. This time they also gave out David Cone bobbleheads. They didn't look anything like him, in my opinion. However, I did like that the box they came in had the entire box score of the perfect game on the back. It feels strange to be celebrating the anniversary of the perfect game in a different stadium than the one in which it actually happened. I guess there are nice things about the new stadium. However, for me it will never be the same and neither will baseball now that the original stadium is gone and David Cone is retired.


And that's our view. What's on your mind? Tune in tomorrow for Tips for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment