I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Carolyn Haywood Books - Great Books for Early Chapter Readers

This is post may contain affliate links. If you click on and make a purchase, we may be compensated. Any and all opinions expressed here are our own.
Me - Carolyn Haywood, wow! I like Carolyn Haywood's Betsy books. I read them when I was in first grade. They were good stories and easy to read. I didn't have a favorite one. I liked them all. I liked the character of Betsy. I also liked her little sister, Star. I liked her friends too. I liked everything about the books. It was one of the first series I ever read. The Betsy books have been around a long time. My Mom read them too when she was little. My sister read a few of them too.  Carolyn Haywood's books are really good for beginning readers just learning to read chapter books. The plots are simple and they are easy to read. Even though the stories are from a long time ago, kids can still relate to them. All kids should read the Betsy books when they are young.
Mom - The first books I have a vivid memory of reading are Carolyn Haywood's Betsy books. They were my first chapter books. I read them when I was in first grade. I loved them so much I would try to sneak and read them when I was supposed to be sleeping. Later, when I got older I found out there were a lot more Betsy books than the ones I had read. I got the whole series for Melia when she was young, and she loved it too. Aurella read  some of them too, but she is more particular about books. She likes to read books about animals. It is great being able to share books that I loved as a child with my own children. Carolyn Haywood books aren't just for girls. She wrote some stand alone books as well as other series including one about Eddie which would be good for boys just starting to read chapter books. Melia had at least one of the Eddie books, but I don't know if she ever read it. I don't think I ever read any of Carolyn Haywood's books besides the Betsy books. I am not sure I even knew at the time that she had written other books. If I had, I probably would have read them too.
And that's our view. What are the first chapter books you remember reading or that your children read?

Tune in tomorrow for Funtivity Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment