I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, February 18, 2013

Laurie Berkner

Me - Laurie Berkner, wow! When I was little I loved Laurie Berkner. I had all her CDs. I also went to three Laurie Berkner concerts. I also had one Laurie Berkner DVD. My sister has them all now as well as another CD and two other DVDs. My favorite song was Boots. I used to sing it all the time. Whenever I listened to it, I had to get out all my boots. I also liked The Goldfish Song that talked about fish doing human things and then said wait a minute fish don't do that. I also liked Pig on Your Head and We Are the Dinosaurs.I still like her version of Fly Me to the Moon. Both my Mom and I still have that song on our MP3s because we like it so much. The reason I got into Laurie Berkner was I used to listen to the same Barney CD over and over again. My parents got sick of it. They introduced me to Laurie Berkner who sang songs on Noggin before it became Nick Jr. My Mom said "It it's so great on TV imagine what a whole CD would be like." That was where it all started and our whole family was hooked. Then, we got our friends hooked on Laurie Berkner. They won a contest and got to video chat with Laurie all because of us. We were jealous although now I don't care. They live in another state. So if you have a little kid in your house, you and your kid should trying listening to Laurie Berkner. I think you'll be hooked too.

Mom - When Melia was little, she went through a phase where she was always listening to the same Barney CD. It was driving me crazy so I convinced her that she should try some other music. At the time, the TV channel that is now Nick Jr. was called Noggin. Between shows they sometimes played music. That is where we first heard Laurie Berkner's music. She had fun songs like Pig On Your Head and We Are the Dinosaurs. I convinced Melia that if the few Laurie Berkner songs we'd heard on TV were so good, imagine what a whole Laurie Berkner CD would be like. She agreed and we purchased our first Laurie Berkner CD, Whaddya Think of That. Immediately our whole family was hooked. We would subsequently own every Laurie Berkner CD  as well as attending several Laurie Berkner concerts. I have to say that those concerts were some of the most of fun concerts I ever attended in my life. They were really upbeat and lively. Most of the adults seemed to be having as much fun as the children. Laurie Berkner songs are just so much fun that it is hard to get sick of them. It is great to listen to them on the CD, but it is even better to hear them in person and be able to sing along with Laurie and her band. We even got our friends hooked on Laurie Berkner and my girls were jealous out of their minds when one of those friends won a contest and was able to have a live video chat with Laurie Berkner. We were able to see a copy of the video chat and he and his family even got to sing along with Laurie to some of her songs. That really drove my girls crazy with jealousy. Of course, not everyone can get a private video chat with Laurie Berkner. However, anyone can go to one of her concerts, and if you ever have the opportunity and you have young children, I would highly recommend it. Laurie will be appearing in the Philadelphia/Glenside area at the Keswick Theater on February 23 at 11:00 AM. For additional concert times, dates and locations see her web-site at laurieberkner.com.

And that's our view. Who is or was your favorite children's performer?