I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Titanic

Me - The Titanic, not wow! When I was in first grade, I read a book about the Titanic, but I don't really remember much about it. I don't like to read things about people that died so it really didn't interest me that much. All I know is that there was this big boat that hit an iceberg, sank, and only some of the rich people got into lifeboats and survived. However, I know a song about the Titanic. I really used to like to sing the song even though the subject of the Titanic is depressing. I never saw the movie, and I don't have any desire to even though other people seem to love it. Even my Dad said that he would be afraid to see the Titanic in 3D although when the movie was originally out and, it wasn't in 3D, it was one of the first movies he and my Mom saw when they were first dating. Just thinking about the Titantic makes me not sure I ever want to go on a cruise at all.

Mom - With the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic this month, the Titanic seems to be everywhere. I have to admit, the subject does interest me, but I am not obsessed by it like some people. I saw the movie when it was out originally, but I would not want to see it in 3D. I also saw an exhibit of actual artifacts from the Titanic when I was in Chicago a little over 10 years ago. That was really interesting. My husband told me that lately there have been a lot of people posting on Twitter that they had no idea the sinking of the Titanic was something that had really happened. If they had seen the exhibit as I have, they never would have thought that. Sometime, I would like to read a book about the survivors of the ship. Hearing  and reading about the Titanic, does not make me afraid to go on a cruise. In fact, I went on a cruise to the Greek islands with my grandmother when I was 13, and we had a great time. However, the recent grounding of the Concordia does makes me think twice about wanting to go on a cruise. I mean at least the Titanic's captain allegedly went down with the ship, and from what I understand the Concordia's captain was the one who caused it to run aground in the first place by going off course and too close to the shore. I mean if you can't trust the ship's captain who can you trust?  However, I am not going to let myself be afraid because the lesson we can learn from both these tragedies is that you never know what is going to happen in life so you might as well not waste time being afraid. Do what makes you happy and enjoy it while you can. At least that is what I am going to try to do.

And that's our view. Tune in Thursday for another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment