I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Amazing Grace the Musical


Me - Amazing Grace the Musical, wow! Amazing Grace was a much better show than I thought it would be. I really liked the leading actress, Erin Mackey. She was my favorite character. She had a really nice voice. I also liked that her character stood up for what was right. The other actors in the show were good too, but Erin was my favorite. The songs were nice to listen to. However, I did not remember any of them after the show except Amazing Grace. The sets were cool. The costumes were good considering the time period the show took place. However, I am glad that people don't wear clothes like that anymore. The show was heavy on religion so if you don't like that I wouldn't recommend seeing it. However, I am not very religious, and I still managed to enjoy the show. Over all, it is not a bad show.

Mom -

What  I Like About Amazing Grace:

The talented cast led by Josh Young as John Newton and Erin Mackey as Mary Catlett

The beautiful singing voices particularly that of Ms. Mackey

It is an original musical and not based on a movie.

What I Don't Like About Amazing Grace:

The only memorable song is the title song. None of the original songs written for the show are particularly memorable.

Even though the show claims to be about how John Newton came to write Amazing Grace, it is more about how he came to a place where he could write a song like Amazing Grace and not necessarily about how he wrote Amazing Grace in particular. Therefore, if you come to the show expecting to learn a lot about the song Amazing Grace and how and why that song was written, you will be disappointed.If you come to the show just wanting to know about the man who wrote the song, you will not.

And that's our view.  What other song do you think would make a good story for a musical?

Tune in tomorrow for Funtivity Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment