I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, October 27, 2014

Monthly Mash-up October, 2014: Boys Meets World and School and Fun

Me - My topic for this month is Boy Meets World and Girl Meets World. They are the best shows ever other than How I Met Your Mother. The are basically the exact same show. Every plot from Girl Meet World was a plot in Boy Meets World. Ever character in Girl Meet World relates to a character in Boy Meets World. They both have amazing characters and are hilarious and the plots are good. Even in the most serious scenes they find a way to make it serious but still make it fun. I don't have a favorite character in Boy Meets World. In Girl Meets World, I like the character of Riley best. She is just like me. We are like the same person. We have so much in common. There isn't actually a character in either show that I don't like. I don't have a favorite episode. I love every episode of both shows. My sister loves Girl Meets World too. It's her favorite. I would definitely recommend both of these shows.

Mom - My topic for this month is about school and fun. Of course, school is a place for learning and should be, but shouldn't there be time for fun too? It seems like there is less and less of that these days at least in the schools my daughter have attended. When I was a kid, we had school plays almost every year. Nowadays, my older daughter never had a school play and my younger daughter was once in a play. However, it wasn't even on the stage it was in her classroom, and only my husband and I were able to go see it and not her sister or her grandparents or anybody else. When I was a kid, we went on at least one class trip a year. Nowadays, my daughters don't even go on one class trip a year, and they certainly never go on more than one class trip a year. We used to be allowed to have birthday parties  in school and bring cupcakes. Now, they have a monthly party for all the kids in the school who have a birthday in a particular month and there are no cupcakes involved. I understand that they are concerned about childhood obesity, and I don't have a problem with that. However, every kid should have a day to feel special, and it doesn't really feel all that special when you're celebrating your birthday with a bunch of other kids. The way birthday celebrations in school are now, my kids don't (or didn't) even look forward to them that much. Up to now, other celebrations still involved food. The emphasis was on healthy food, but there is nothing wrong with that. That still left plenty of options. Now, in my daughter's school they have decided that there are too many allergies, there will be no more bringing in food for parties either each person can bring in there own special snack or they don't get to eat at the party.  First of all, I think this actually increases the chance of kids coming in contact with something they are allergic to because it is not like we are given a list of foods to avoid or anything. Second of all, it puts pressure on the parents to  remember to give their child something extra that day or have them feel left out. Third of all, I don't think it is all that special at all to have an extra snack. Besides, what is a party without food? One extra snack does not make it a party. I feel sorry for my daughters. I really do. I mean I don't know if it is like this everywhere, but in our town they really know how to suck the fun out of school. I'm grateful that I went to school when I did when school was still allowed to be fun, I 'm glad I don't go now.

And that's our view. What's on your mind?

Tune in tomorrow for Where-To-Go Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment