I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Children's Books We Love

Me - Children's books, wow! When I was little I read Clifford. I called him Coochie. Before I could actually read it, I memorized it. I could recite it so well that people thought I was actually reading. I also loved Barney books. I even made up a Barney joke. What follows a purple dinosaur around everywhere it goes? Baby Bop! I also loved Sandra Boynton books. Her books were really funny. My favorites included Moo Baa La La La and Pajama Time. We also read a lot of Amelia Bedelia books. She was hilarious. I liked the Froggy books by Jonathan London. I liked the Frances the Badger books. I liked Sesame Street books.  I loved Dr. Seuss books. My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Green Eggs and Ham. I enjoyed the Berenstain Bears. I had a big book of Berenstain Bear stories. My favorite Berenstain Bears book was one about them having a new baby. I got it when my sister was going to be born, and I still loved it and read it even years later. Now my sister has my old books or at least the ones she still hasn't given away yet. When I see them it makes me think back to when I was a kid, and enjoyed reading and hearing them too.

Mom - I  started loving books when I was young because there were so many great children's books including many books that have stood the test of time and that my children have loved as much as I did.  Books we have loved include Curious George, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Amelia Bedelia and Madeline. I also love the Frances the Badger series. The way she would make up the way words were spelled reminded me of the way my stepson and my youngest daughter each thought you could put any combination of letters together, and it would make a word like Z  X R Q or  K J Y N or something. We also like Harry the Dirty Dog and Harold and the Purple Crayon. While I enjoy reading these classic books as a child and again with my children,  I also have enjoyed reading other children's books with my children, books that were not yet published when I was a child. I love  Fancy Nancy. My daughter, Aurella, has always loved big words too. "Boots absolutely threw Nemo down the stairs.", she told me once when she was about 2 or 3. I like the Marley books and the Pinkalicious books. We even saw a musical based on the original Pinkalicious. My favorite though is Silverlicious where she loses a tooth. I like The Kissing Hand and the other books about Chester the raccoon. Quite a few times, we used the kissing hand with Aurella who had separation issues even when she just had to go into another room in our own house. I love Kevin Henkes books especially Chrysanthemum which is just so much fun to say and Jessica which is about a girl with invisible friends. Both of my daughters had invisible friends when they were little. Aurella still does although she recently changed from an invisible best friend named Dora to an invisible best friend named Doc after the new Disney show, Doc McStuffins. I didn't think Dora would ever leave us. Those are just a few of the many great children's books out there. I have so enjoyed reading them with my children. Melia, of course, has been reading on her own for many years and is now into teen and tween books. Aurella is just learning to read now, and we still read to her a lot. When she gets too old for all of these wonderful children's books too, I am really going to miss them.