I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, October 17, 2011

Grandparents

Me - Grandparents, wow! I have 3 living grandparents. My father's mother died before I was born, and I am named for her. I am really close with my mother's mother. She helps me do my nails, and we have a lot of fun together. My grandmother and I are phone buddies which means we always call each  other up and talk on the phone. My mother's father and I don't get along as well as my grandma and I but I love him and sometimes we do. My grandfather and I were in a show together. It was a show where some people lip synched and some sang. My grandfather has been in a lot of shows, and I would like to be too. He has also been in commercials and movies. My family (my Dad, my Mom, my sister and I) once auditioned for local commercial, but we didn't get it. My Dad's father we call Poppy. He lives in Maryland so I don't see him very much especially now that my Aunt lives with him, and we have no place to stay down there. I love him even if I can't visit him anymore. I love all my grandparents even my grandmother who I never met.

Mom - The world feels a little different when you don't have any grandparents left. If your lucky enough to have grandparents like I did, noone else in the world will ever spoil you in the same way, and I am not talking only about material things. I was lucky enough to have 4 grandparents until I was 4, 3 grandparents until I was in my 20's, 2 grandparents until I was in my 30's, and 1 grandparents until I was in my 40's. My maternal grandfather died when I was 4, he used to buy my little toys and give me the rings from his cigars to wear as jewelry. My maternal grandmother lived until I was graduated from college. We traveled all over together sometimes with my brother and my cousin, sometimes not. We went to much of Europe and twice to Israel as well as places in the U.S. including Washington, D.C. and Florida. She introduced me to foods like  Israeli falfel,  and Swiss fondue, places like the Eiffel Tower, the Roman Coloseum and the Dead Sea, and things like Venetian lace, Murano glass and Dutch Delft. From my paternal grandfather, I inherited my great memory. He was very set in his ways and some people thought he could be difficult, but he and I were always close. For me, he would exchange airplane tickets  and change hotel reservations and spend all day in an airport just so I could see my favorite baseball player pitch for the Yankees against the Mariners in the old Kingdome. I was also the only one he would give up watching his favorite financial program for one night so I could watch a hockey game. He lived to see my wedding, but not much after. My paternal grandmother and I loved going to New York together. We stood on-line at the tickets booth in Times Square and got tickets to a show. We saw "Singin' in the Rain", "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" and "West Side Story" among others. The last show I saw with her was "Mamma Mia" She was already in her 80's then. She lived long enough to see the birth of both of my daughters. She and my older daughter were really close, but by the time my younger daughter was born, she was already fading fast, and she died before my daughter was 1. So now, I don't have any grandparents left and while I cherish my wonderful memories of all of them, I still miss them all and in some ways the world feels a little bit sadder and lonelier without them.

And that's our view. Tune in Friday for another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment