I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, January 31, 2011

Parties Then and Now


Me- When I was little parties meant going out,  having cake, and getting goody bags. Now, it is staying home and doing something small. I still like parties, but they were better when I was younger!


 Mom - When I was a kid, you could invite people over for a pizza party and just have  pizza and cake, and that was a party. If you wanted entertainment, you played pin the tail on the donkey or musical chairs or something like that. You didn't hire entertainment.

When I was a little older, you might actually have a party outside of your house, but still nothing fancy; like maybe a swim party or a roller skating party or something. They did not have places whose only purpose was to put on kids birthday parties.

When my kids were little, birthday parties got so fancy. You couldn't just serve a meal and that was the party. You were expected to serve a meal and provide some kind of paid entertainment even if the party was just at home. Most parties were not at home a anyway which meant they were generally expensive.  Even with that, some people went way overboard. I even knew people who spend over $500 on a two or three year old's birthday party, and I went to Bar and Bat Mitzvah's that were as fancy and formal as a wedding. That's crazy!

Nowadays, things seems to be moving away from that. More people are having home parties. More people are providing their own entertainment at parties like karaoke, makeovers, or DVD watching. I am sure this trend back to simpler birthday parties is because of the economy, but I think it is a good thing.


And that's our view. Tune in again for another Talking Topic.

Photo credits: 
photo credit 1: ER's Eyes - Our planet is beautiful. My niece's 9-year-birthday party. via photopin (license)
photo credit 2: Turkinator Sophie's 8th Birthday Cake via photopin (license)
photo credit: 2 Tobyotter Brody's Elmo Birthday Cake via photopin (license)
photo credit 3

: Eliud92 Frozen via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment