I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Monday, August 29, 2016

Monthly Mash-up August, 2016 Beautiful: The Carole King Musical and Adrienne Shelly

Me- My topic for this month is Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. I liked Beautiful. It was a good show. The show is about Carole King and it is also sort of about Gerry Goffin and Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann. I like all of the songs. It has very good music. It's a jukebox musical because the songs were not written for the show. The show features not only Carole King songs but her songs from when she wrote with her ex-husband, Gerry Goffin as well as songs by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. It was interesting to learn about Carole King. I knew some stuff about her before but not that much. I had heard of Carole King before I heard of the show because I knew some of the songs already. I decided I wanted to see the show because my dad took my mom for her birthday last year, and they talked about it and said it was good. I finally got to see it this past Tuesday. I went to New York with my mom. We went on the TKTS line where you can get discount tickets for shows. It was my first time I ever got tickets from TKTS. I had heard about TKTS and seen it, but I had never gotten tickets there before.

Mom - My topic for this month is Adrienne Shelly. She was the writer and director of the movie, Waitress. Waitress is the story of Jenna a pregnant waitress in an abusive marriage who yearns to get away from her husband and open her own pie diner. Adrienne co-starred in the movie as well appearing as Dawn, a fellow waitress of Jenna's. Waitress is now a Broadway musical starring Tony Winner, Jesse Mueller. For more about that see our previous post: Where-To-Go Wednesday: Waitress the Musical. We will also be talking about Waitress the Musical in future posts. The movie Waitress appeared at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007. Although that is, of course, a prestigious honor for a film, in the case of Waitress, it was bittersweet. Sadly, Adrienne Shelly was murdered by a construction worker in her West Village work apartment just prior to the film's acceptance at the festival. I can't stop thinking about how sad that is. I mean here she was about to achieve her dream, and she never even lived to see it. The movie is really touching and sweet with a good story and interesting characters. It showed that Adrienne Shelly had great promise as a writer and a director, and I would have liked to see what she would have could have come up with next. It makes me sad that she never got to reach her potential. It makes me even sadder watching the end of Waitress and seeing Adrienne Shelly's own daughter, who appeared as Lulu in the movie, and thinking  about that poor little girl being forced to grow up without a mother. It's just so sad.

And that's our view. What's on your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment