I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Saturday Special- An Interview with Dancer and Actor, Nia Sioux


15 year old, Nia Sioux (NS) is best known for appearing on the Lifetime reality series, Dance Moms. She is currently starring in the musical Trip of Love, a 60s musical review.


When did you first start dancing?

NS: I can not believe I have been dancing for 13 years.  Wow!!  My mom signed me up for dance as a recreational activity but I decided I wanted to do competitive dance when I was 5 or 6.  I do not remember life without dance.

Have you ever been in another musical?

NS: Although I love musical theater, Trip of Love is my first musical experience. Musical theater is one of my favorite styles of dance so I am thrilled to be able to use my skills in Trip of Love.  I grew up going to Broadway shows but being IN a musical is a totally different experience.  I have learned so much from the director/choreographer, James Walski, as well as the rest of the cast.

What was your favorite thing about being on Dance Moms?

NS: Being an original cast member of Dance Moms has been awesome!  I had no idea what a positive impact Dance Moms would have on dance education when I started at age nine.   I love inspiring others and being part of such an incredible movement.  The challenge of learning a new dance or two every week really prepared me well for this current role in Trip of Love where I had to learn the show in one week. Dance Moms prepared me well for the real world.

What was your least favorite thing about being on Dance Moms?

NS: One of the most challenging parts of being on Dance Moms is the schedule.  I spend the majority of the year away from my family and I rarely spend a weekend at home.  Sleeping in my own bed is a luxury.  I miss spending time with my dad, brothers and my 2 dogs.

What is your favorite thing about Trip of Love?

NS: The use of intricate partner work is one of my favorite things about Trip of Love.  The choreography involves a ton of partner work and I have different partners depending on the track.  There are a lot of lifts and you have to trust your partner and help them do the work too.  Safety is really important but you have to make these incredibly complicated moves look easy. My favorite dance in Trip of Love is my duet to Moon River.  I love this duet and my duet partner, Brandon, is very encouraging and talented.  It is a ballet and we do some beautiful lifts which make gorgeous pictures but they are really difficult.

What is your favorite Broadway show?

NS: Picking a favorite Broadway show is difficult.  I have so many favorites and it depends on my mood.  Right now, I am still in awe of The Color Purple which I recently saw but Wicked and The Lion King will forever be in my heart.

What is your dream role?

NS: Cinderella would be a dream role! Who wouldn't want to be Cinderella?  Of course, I love the vocals of Elphaba's character in Wicked.  I think she is a fascinating character and she would be fun to play.

Who are some people you admire?

NS: There are so many people .... I really admire Misty Copeland.  Her story inspires me and I hope to see her perform Firebird one day. I also admire my parents because they give great advice and life lessons.  They support everything I do.

If you couldn't dance what would you do?

NS:It is hard to imagine a life without dance but I am sure I would be involved in the performing arts- either singing or acting. Entertaining people is in my blood and I do love a stage!

What advice would you give to someone who wants to do what you do?

NS: Star in Your Own Life is my motto!  I live by those words and I encourage everyone to recognize that no one gets to star in your life but you.  Live your life knowing that no one can be you and being you makes you special.  There is tremendous joy and confidence that comes from recognizing that only you can star in your life.


What: Trip Of Love

Where: Stage 42
               422 W.42nd St.
               New York, NY 

When: Nia Sioux will be appearing through August 21, 2016

For more information or to find out how to order tickets go to http://tripoflove.com/.
We will also be featuring more about Trip of Love in future posts.

We thank Nia for taking the time to answer our questions.

Tune in tomorrow for this week's Sunday Scoop.

photo credit: All Trip of Love production photos by Jason Woodruff

No comments:

Post a Comment