I started this blog with one daughter, kept it up with the other, to spend time together doing something we enjoyed.
However, things change and people evolve. My daughters are older, busier, and not as interested in writing.
From now on this blog will be mostly mom with occasional contributions from my daughters and maybe even my husband.
Nothing else will change. We'll still focus on sharing fun places to go, fun things to do, and more, and we would  still love to hear your views too

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell

Me- Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, wow! Independence Hall is a very historic place. We went on a tour there. It was a really short tour. It was pretty interesting though. I hadn't really learned that much about the Revolutionary period in school yet. I heard that next year we will be studying mostly American History, however. It's too bad I won't remember anything I learned at Independence Hall by then. The Liberty Bell is so cool close up!  It is both bigger and smaller than I imagined it would be.  I can't really explain what I mean by that. There were also exhibits about the Liberty Bell in the same location. The exhibits were interesting, but at that point of the day I was kind of hungry so I went through them really quickly. I would like to go back there some day and look at them more carefully. The crack in the Liberty Bell was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The bell itself looked different than I thought it would too. It looked kind of dirty. Also, I thought it would be outside and not in a building.  I wish I could have stuck my head in the Liberty Bell that would have been cool. I wanted to at least touch it. I couldn't because there were a lot of people, and I couldn't get close enough. Besides, they have it all blocked off so you can't get that close. I am glad I saw it though.
Mom- Philadelphia is truly the birthplace of America. Independence Hall is the Center of that. When you look at it as just a building, it doesn't seem all that impressive. There are a lot of places all over the world and even in this country alone that are much more beautiful to the eye, However, when you think about what this building stands for, it is more impressive and important than all of the most beautiful places in the world. The ideas that were generated here about freedom and independence are even more important now than they have ever been in light of the state of the world today. I like the feeling of being able to stand where our forefathers stood. I think if they could see this country now in some ways they would be proud in others not so much. The world and this country are so different now than it was then in both good ways and bad. The Liberty Bell makes me think about how far this country has come and ways that it has changed even more so. It is probably the most well known and important symbol of our country besides the Statute of Liberty. It is fitting that the two of the most important national symbols both have to do with liberty. That is one of the most important reasons why this country was formed because as it says in the Declaration of Independence "All Men are created equal". So many problems in the world are created by people not believing in this ideal. People want to believe they are better than other people or want to believe they are more important than other people, or just plain want to have power over other people and control them or even want to believe that other people don't have the right to exist. I am not even sure are forefathers completely lived up to the ideals upon which this country was based. I mean a lot of them had slaves. Having slaves, is certainly not treating all people as equal. I guess nobody is really a completely good caring person who treats everybody else as a complete equal and respects everybody else's rights all the time. However, seeing the Liberty Bell makes want to try to do so as much as possible. Besides, in this day and age when so many people just want to trample over other people's rights or don't even believe certain other people have a right to exist or want to wipe out whole groups of people that they don't even know for some alleged cause it is even more important to try to hold true to these ideals.
And that's our view. Tune in tomorrow for Funny Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment